Pictured: My son took this photo of our breakfast pancake.
She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. Proverbs 31:14 ESV
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk ( lowfat or whole will work but the sides won't crisp as well)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 450F with a rack in the middle.
- Brush surface and sides of large skillet with oil.
- Place skillet on oven rack and heat until oil is shimmering, about 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, lemon zest, and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl until frothy and light, about 1 minute.
- Whisk milk, butter, and vanilla into eggs until incorporated.
- Whisk one-third of milk mixture into flour mixture until no lumps remain, then slowly whisk in remaining milk mixture until smooth.
- Carefully pour batter into heated skillet and bake until edges of Dutch Baby are deep golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to wire rack and sprinkle Dutch Baby with lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar.
- Slide onto cutting board or plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve with sweet whipped cream and/or berries. This could even be the base for a savory.