Monday, January 23, 2017

Lentil Soup Love

The response was unanimous: "surprisingly good!" Five out of five liked the lentil soup. I found the recipe for Southwestern Lentil Soup in the Lentil and Split Pea Cookbook, edited by Merilee Frets.

Next time I will add more onion and celery. Some fresh cilantro and sour cream would make nice toppings.

1 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
6 cups water (I used 2 cups water and 4 cups beef broth)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon mint, thyme, or oregano
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped, mild green chilies (I used half an Anaheim pepper)
one bell pepper, deveined, seeded, and cut into chunks
one carrot, diced
(I added half of a chopped onion.)

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil

Place the lentils, water, and seasoning in cooking pot; bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender. (Approximately 30 minutes.) Puree 1 cup of cooked lentils with the green chilies in a blender (or food processor) and add to soup. Add the finely chopped vegetables to the soup and cook until the vegetables are tender but not overcooked. (Maybe 10 to 20 minutes.) Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and olive oil. Serve hot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0897163524/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1485226340&sr=1-11

She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. Proverbs 31:14 ESV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, my friend, I think you published the recipe BECAUSE you KNEW I was going to ask for it!! It's going to be good. :)

I love you,
Marion