Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A Humble Guide to Entertaining

I have three main principles for entertaining.

First: What can I do with what I have? When we were first married, thirty years ago, we often served cinnamon toast to drop in guests. And tea. I don't think I had a coffee maker, let alone a French press, back then.

Second: Don't apologize for the state of affairs. Just ignore the laundry on the couch. Move it aside or throw it on a bed.

Third: Pray that I will be a blessing to those in my home. Focus on listening and welcoming.

Pictured: I used to make muffins all the time!

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. 1 Peter 4:9 ESV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary, Such wisdom, especially about not apologizing for how things look, and focusing on being welcoming and a blessing to those who come. I have learned a lot from you about using what I have. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm trying, I'm trying.
I love you and am honored to be a part of your journey.
Marion